For years, fashion has been all about oversized volumes. Wide trousers, wide blazers, wide coats, wide leather jackets and varsity jackets, long flowy dresses with billowing silhouettes. No one who squeezes himself into tight pants in the morning. Even if they come back, sure. You only have to look at the dress trends in which in the cut out models already slimming figure hugging appearing lines. But be for now large volumes still insanely trending.
Power in oversized fashion
Oversized clothing has a lot of advantages. It all feels huge comfortable On. And those large volumes are good for real ones power looks. It’s like – by literally taking up more space in the world – we’re saying something like, ‘Here I stand. I may be there.’ The big shoulders that we see in blazers and jackets reinforce that idea.
It is one of the easy ways to wear oversized fashion trouser suit. We encountered them in abundance in the street style fashion for 2023. The fashion designers contribute a ready-made solution to this. You just need to find the right size and get a top and shoes. To accentuate the oversized idea you can go for extra long trouser legs which gives you a kind of idea of ’luxury’ and ‘excess’. Moreover, such a floor sweeping pants your legs optically longer, especially if you wear heels underneath.
If you want to take the oversized look further, take a look at the summer coats for 2023. There too you will find oversized ones that are not only good for a powerful look but also very easy to wear over any outfit.
The pitfall of oversized fashion
As always in fashion, your look should be in terms of shapes, lines and proportions balance are. You silhouette can quickly become ‘boxy’ or heavy. Oversized fashion does not mean buying your clothes one size larger. Everything – shoulders, waist, etc. – should fall into place and fit well.
This is how you wear oversized fashion
We have a few rules of thumb for you:
- Wear oversized clothes that are meant to be oversized.
- If you want to play it safe, limit yourself to one oversized item per look. An example: combine cargo pants with a small top.
- For a lighter silhouette, show a piece of skin, for example a strip of belly (showing skin is for every age!) above the waist of your (pleat) trousers.
- Accentuate your strong, slender points. If your slim calves are your strong point, go for a slightly shorter oversized dress or jacket (see the street style photo above). The contrast will make you look even slimmer. Slim wrists? Roll up the sleeves of your jacket or blazer.
- If you’re going for a totally oversized look, say a trouser suit, choose subdued calm colors. Even better: experiment with ton sur ton looks. They are still in fashion and make for a long time.
- One way to shape a boxy silhouette is to accentuate your waist. You can do this with a crop top but also with a belt or by wearing an oversized top in your pants or skirt.
- Note the cuts. Oversized does not mean shapeless. There is indeed tailoring involved. So don’t just shoot in the first oversized pantsuit you come across, but take the time to find out (try it on!) which shapes flatter your figure.
Click here for men’s fashion trends on ADVERSUS